Many people around the world use a garden machete for different purposes as it could be used as both an axe and a knife. A garden machete has many advantages and could be used for cleaning brushes, woody vegetation, cutting tree trunks, coppice trees for charcoal, chomp compost, separate bark from trees etc. However, all these functions could be performed with ease only if the garden machete you purchase is the best product on the market and getting yourself, the best garden machete is not that easy.
A garden machete as mentioned above comes from different brands and with different features. If you are planning to purchase a garden machete then it is very important that you purchase a product from a well reputed brand, a product made of high quality metal, an excellent handle with grip, and a powder coated blade that is resistant to rust. Remember, all the products do not come with all these factors, and so be careful to read the product specifications and select the product accordingly.
To make things easier for you, here is a list of 10 best garden machetes available on the market.
Best Garden Machete Reviews 2019
1. Gerber Gator Machete – Black w/ Nylon Sheath [31-000758]
This is one of the best selling garden machetes that comes from the brand and manufacturer Gerber
- This garden machete comes in a full size and a Jr. size variant is also available
- The whole product is made of carbon steel and the manufacturer has incorporated nylon sheath into this machete
- One of the notable features of this machete is that it has a saw at one end and a 15-inch fine sharpened blade on the other side
- The manufacturer has incorporated heavy duty gator grip over mold rubberized handles for enhanced stability while using the product
- The overall length of this machete is 5.7-Inches and has an overall weight 18-oz
- The manufacturer offers a limited warranty on this product
2. Cold Steel 97MKM Magnum Kukri
This simple looking machete comes from the brand and manufacturer Cold Steel and is one of the best-selling machetes as of now.
- This product is imported and is made of high quality material
- The overall length of this machete is 22-Inches
- The manufacturer has incorporated polypropylene handles into this product and the handles are designed in such a way that it provides maximum stability and grip
- One of the notable features of this machete is that it comes with an angled blade that is designed to bite deep with every stroke
- The handles are forward balanced for tougher jobs
- The product comes incorporated with Cordura sheath
3. Ontario Knife Co 1-18″ Military Machete
This machete comes from the brand Ontario and is one of the simplest machetes on this list. However, this machete looks attractive and elegant
- This garden machete comes with an overall length of 24-Inches
- The whole product is made of 1095 carbon steel that makes it durable, lightweight, and sturdy
- This machete comes incorporated with high quality plastic handles that is riveted on to the blade for better stability
- The size of the blade incorporated into this machete has an overall size of 18-inches
- One of the notable things about this product is that the blades are hardened to 50-55 HRC for enhanced durability
4. Gerber Bear Grylls Parang Machete [31-002289]
This garden machete is one of the most attractive and best selling garden machetes available on the market right now. This garden machete comes from the brand Gerber
- This product comes with an angled blade that is designed in such a way that the user would find it easy to clear the bushes or limbs
- The whole product is made of carbon steel that is resistant to rust and comes with a lightweight.
- One of the notable features of the blades incorporated into this machete is that it is easy to sharpen and once sharpened will not fade away that fast
- The manufacturer has incorporated rubberized handles that ensure stability while use by enhancing the grip
- The lanyard cord added to the handles increases the guard and enhances the grip security
- The overall length of this machete is 19.5-Inches and the blade alone has a length of 13.5-Inches
5. SOG SOGfari 18″ Machete MC02-N –
The MC02-N machete from the brand SOG is a multipurpose machete that comes with a unique feature and looks. This machete is one of the best selling simplest machetes available on the market right now
- This garden machete unlike other products listed above comes with a saw on one side of the blade and a fine sharpened on the other side. This enables the user to use the machete as both saw and machete
- This product is made of 3Cr13 stainless steel that is durable and lightweight
- This garden machete comes with an overall length of 29.95-Inches and an overall weight of 15.7 ounces
- This garden machete comes black powder coated for enhanced rust resistance
- The product comes incorporated with Kraton rubber handles that has enhanced grip that offers greater stability while using the blade
- The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty on the product
6. Condor Tool & Knife, Golok Machete, 14in Blade, Walnut Handle with Sheath
This garden machete comes from the brand Condor Tool & Knife and is the whole product comes in a unique design
- This product comes with high quality walnut handles
- This garden machete comes with an overall length of 19-inches
- The whole product is made of 1075 high quality carbon steel that comes black powder coated for enhanced rust resistance
- The blades incorporated in this machete comes in an overall length of 12-inches efficient to cut almost any plant, shrub, or bushes
- One of the notable things about this product is that the manufacturer offers a leather machete carrying pouch with this product
- The manufacturer has incorporated leather sheath into this product
7. 9001143 Ontario 18″ Military Machete
Yet another garden machete from the same brand Ontario comes with few attractive features.
- This product comes with an 18-inch blade that is black epoxy coated for enhanced rust resistance
- This garden machete is designed for military use and has been added to the military kit
- The handles in this machete is made of molded plastic and it is riveted to the blade for enhanced durability and stability
- This garden machete is made in The United States of America
8. Condor Tool & Knife, Parang Machete, 17-1/2in Blade, Hardwood Handle with Sheath
Yet another garden machete from the same brand Condor Tool & Knife and is one of the top rated garden machetes available today
- This garden machete is made of 1075 high carbon steel that makes this product lightweight and highly durable
- The whole product is black epoxy coated for better rust resistance and looks
- The manufacturer offers a leather black sheath with this garden machete
- The handles incorporated in this garden machete is made of hardwood and the handle is riveted to the blade for enhanced stability
- This garden machete comes with 108 sculpted vents
- This garden machete comes with an overall length of 26-Inches
9. SOG SOGfari 10″ Machete MC04-N –
Yet another product from the top brand and manufacturer SOG and is one of the best selling mini garden machete available on the market today
- This garden machete comes with an overall length of 16-inches and an overall weight of 13.4-ounces
- The whole product is made of 3Cr13 stainless steel and is 44-50 hardened for enhanced durability
- The blades incorporated in this machete has an overall length of 10-inches and a thickness of 0.08-inches
- One of the notable features of this garden machete is that it has a saw on one side of the blade and a fine sharpened on the other side of the blade
- Another notable thing about this product is that it comes with black powder coated epoxy that could prevent the blade from rusting
- The black Kraton handles incorporated into this machete is of high quality and durability
- The manufacturer has also added holes on the handle for mounting on the lanyards
10. Cold Steel Royal Kukri Machete – 97KMIGS
This product from the same brand Cold Steel and is one of the attractive machetes that has enhanced looks as it has mat black color
- This product is made of high quality 1055 carbon steel which is durable and lightweight at the same time
- The whole product is hardened for enhanced durability and strength
- The blades are coated with anti rust matte finish that makes the product long lasting
- This garden machete comes with an overall length of 23-inches
- The blades in this garden machete are extra sharpened for easy cutting
Garden Machete Buying Guide – What To Look For?
A garden machete has always been one of the important and essential tools in the gardening kit; however, the demand for garden machete has increased in the recent years and this demand has increased the number of garden machete variants on the market today. The increased number of garden machete variants has made it a challenging task for someone to pick the best product from the market; here is a list of key factors considering which you could select the best garden machete today.
Type of garden machete – A garden machete is a general term as there is more than one type of garden machete available on the market today. PS:
- Billhook machete – Has a curved blade that is specially designed to chop or cut woody materials, grapevine, branches, branches, and shrubs.
- Bolo machete – This machete is commonly used as an agricultural tool and has a unique shape, the tip of this machete is slightly larger than the handle end, however, when it comes to gardening, this type machete is best recommended for cutting or chopping woody plants.
- Bush machete – Among the different types of garden machete listed above and below, this machete is an all purpose machete that could help chop or cut anything. The blades in this machete are straight back blade.
- Cane machete – This type of machete comes with a blade that is very thin enabling it to cut comparatively easier than other machetes. While the thickness of the blade remains the same throughout, the width of the blade increases from the handle side to other end.
- Colima machete – This type of machete comes both sides of the blades sharpened allowing the user to cut during fore and backhand strokes. Best recommended for quick chopping or cutting crops or plants
- Hawksbill machete – This type of garden machete comes with a curved or hooked shape. The machete is designed in such a way that both the sides of the blade could be sharpened. One of the notable things about machete is that it allows the user pierce any hard material with the sharpened tip and on the other hand, the inner curve sharpened area could cut or chop branches, tall grass, or plants.
- Panga machete – This type of garden machete comes designed in such a way that the belly provides the weight for enhanced chopping experience and the curvature of the blade facilitates enhanced slicing experience. Best recommended for cutting/slicing/chopping thick plants or vegetation
- Parang machete – This machete comes with a thick blade whose spine and edge has a curved shape. The machete if compared to other machete has long blades and the entire machete is slightly weighted or evenly weighted. Best recommended for cutting woody garden plants
- Heavy machete – This type of garden machete comes designed in such a way that the top of the blade is heavier than the handle side of the blade, this design enables the machete to cut easily through woody plants and tough vegetation.
Blade material and blade length – A garden machete commonly comes made of one of any three materials listed below
- Stainless steel – Stainless steel machetes are lightweight and durable, however, once the sharpness is lost, honing is not easy.
- Carbon steel – To be frank, carbon steel is one of the most recommended and durable machetes making materials today, however, requires periodic seasoning to prevent rusting and corrosion.
- High carbon stainless steel – This material made machetes offer both carbon steel and stainless steel features. The machetes made of this material have blade edge with carbon steel like sharpness and has stainless steel like rust and stain resistance.
When it comes to the length of the blade, it could be neglected to an extent, however, if you are planning to use the machete for any purpose other than anything related to gardening, then we recommend purchasing a garden machete with longer blades.
Tang – Most of the people are unaware of this factor; the tang refers to the extension of the blade that is often sandwiched between the handles. When considering a garden machete, it is best recommended that you consider purchasing a machete with tangs that extends up to the end of the handle and has more than 2 or 3 rivets.
Handle material – A garden machete handle could be made of
- Wood – lightweight and firm, but could crack or break after few years of use.
- Molded plastic – cheap but could discolor or could be slippery if came without textured surface.
- Stainless steel – healthy and durable, but is expensive and slippery
- Rubber – excellent grip and soft but can tear if handled carelessly
- Leather – excellent grip but could prove unhealthy if used in water or if not maintained properly
- Micarta – the best type of handle material as it offers excellent grip, comfort, and durability, however, it is expensive.
A garden machete serves the common purpose of slicing, cutting, or chopping vegetation. However, each type of garden machete is designed to serve a specific purpose, read the above-mentioned facts and then purchase the machete accordingly.
A garden machete should be selected carefully as it comes in different quality and from different manufacturers. Consider any one of the products listed above and you will not regret purchasing it, as they are the best garden machetes available on the market today.